In Barcelona, you can find the Barcelona Zoo. It is not only fun for children, but also for the parents. You can see all kinds of animals and nature. Barcelona Zoo works with several international and European programs, who seek to protect, reproduce and maintain all possible species that are seriously endangered.
The zoo opened in the year 1892, as a place where the owner Lluís Martí Codolar showed his collection of animals to the city. After a few years, more and more animals were added to the zoo, and slowly, it became a real zoo. This meant that the owner had to move his personal zoo from his farm to Parc de la Ciutadella in Barcelona. In 2012, the zoo celebrated its 120th anniversary.
Some facts to know:
- The zoo is a home for 2,200 individual animals from over 315 species in 13.5 hectares.
- It´s visited every year by more than 1 million people.
- It has 33,000 family members of the Zoo Club, representing 100,000 people.
- The zoo participates in numerous European and international endangered species awareness and conservation programmes.
- They promote a program of conservation and research, which grants and provides support to universities and researchers all over the world.
- They carry out conservation projects with autochthonous and allochthonous fauna in collaboration with other administrations and zoological organisations.
In the Barcelona Zoo you will find preserved species such as the Gila monster, Black Vulture, the anteater, the pygmy hippopotamus, the giraffe of Rothschild, the Dama Gazelle Mohor in addition to native species such as White Stork, the Night Heron, the Gamo and the Espulgabueyes, among others. It´s not only a lot of fun, it is also very informative.
To move around the Zoo you have several options: by train, you can also go horse riding or in a specially designed rented car that can accommodate from 2 to 4 people. There are also playgrounds, a restaurant, a souvenir shop, picnic area and a nice dolphin show that you can see at the zoo at certain hours and days. They also provide special workshops for children.
Telefono934 81 00 43
Throughout the year, both the ticket offices and the Zoo facilities open at 10.00 am.
Adults: €19.90 Children from 3 to 12 years old: €11.95 Seniors around 65 years old and above: €10.05 Pink Card holders with reduced rate: €4.60 Red Card holders: free entry Disabled people: €5.65